What is Handmade Canberra?
Handmade Canberra is a quarterly, award-winning market held in Canberra. Handmade Canberra is registered with the Australian Made Campaign and we are a proudly all Australian-made market. This means that when you register to be part of the Handmade Canberra community, you can trust everyone selling products at our market have met our Australian-made only criteria.
Why should you join us?
Our markets are curated and celebrate the best of Australian-made design and workmanship. Attracting thousands of design loving customers at every event, our passionate audience love supporting small businesses just like yours!
Handmade Canberra has been created by designers for designers and our team understands the needs of our stallholders firsthand and will provide support and opportunities to maximise your success. We are more than just a market, we are a community of small business owners that are passionate about handmade Australian products. Whether you’re new to selling at markets or a market veteran, we believe that working together can help grow both your brand and ours.
Ready to take the next step? Read the following information then fill in the form to register. It’s that easy!
STEP 1 – Read the information
Criteria to join Handmade Canberra
The Handmade Market is a curated event. We are looking for designers, makers and producers that will be a great fit for our markets and customers. You do not have to have an ABN or be registered with the Australian Made Campaign to sell at our events.
Please be aware that we have a strict Australian-made criteria. If you do not meet the criteria you will not be accepted. The criteria is as follows:
Handmade = of an original design, concept, and product of the seller’s making.
In Australia = Each product is made, developed and produced in Australia from Australian and/or imported ingredients or elements*
*Note: if imported ingredients are used in your products, the product must meet the substantial transformation test.
What’s in it for you? We’re glad you asked
If your registration is successful, there is a $100 yearly admin fee. Once the fee is paid you will have access to the following:
- Australian Made Directory – A permanent listing in the Australian Made Directory that you can update at any time, and a listing in the market line up on our website for each event you attend, which is great for finding your business online ie. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
- Register Once – Only approved stallholders are eligible to attend our events and once you are approved there is no need to re-register for each event. Your details are kept in your online profile to make applying for our events easy!
- Member Resource Area – Our member resource area is packed full of helpful business information. This is where you can update you business listing, read our member blog, find the partner discounts and so much more.
- Partner Discounts – You will have access to partner discounts with companies such as Australia Post, Winc office supplies, Revolution Print and various hotels just to name a few.
- Private stallholder Facebook group – This is a wonderfully supportive group which provides updates, hints and tips to all our members.
- Support – We really are here to help. Our friendly team members understand the needs of stallholders and are committed to providing an environment to help you and your business thrive.
- Networking – Stallholder networking on the Saturday night of the market. After the market closes for the day, we host drinks for the stallholders to get to know each other.
- Member Blog – We have a blog series specifically for stallholders, covering topics such as SEO, insurance, selling at a market, product photography etc.
- Online Promotions – In the lead up to Mother’s day and Christmas we hold online promotions for our members to drive sales at these peak times.
- Australian Made Campaign – We are a proud Retail Supporter of the Australian Made Campaign and carry the Australian made logo on all our events. We also have hints and tips on getting accredited yourself!
- Media call outs – We often call out for local, regional and national stories. Along with this, you also have the opportunity to be featured on our large social media following and email database of over 106,000+ people, all of whom are passionate about handmade Australian products.
If markets aren’t your thing, but you would like to join our community to gain access to the other benefits we provide to our members (for example, having a profile listing in the Australian Made Directory) you absolutely can! The process for applying is the same.
What is the cost for a market?
IMPORTANT: Market stall fees are additional to the yearly admin fee. Please make sure you read the terms and conditions for our events before registering. You will be required to provide a $10 million public liability market insurance certificate of currency to attend our markets. Food & drink stalls are responsible for the required permits for your products.
Two-day market duration: 10am – 4pm, (Saturday and Sunday)*
Two-day market cost (inc. GST):
- Small stall 2x2m – $530 (limited spaces)
- Small stall with corner – $620
- Large stall 3x3m –$745
- Large stall with corner – $845
- Extra large stall 4x3m with corner – $1060 (limited spaces)
- Gallery Space 6x3m – $1380 (limited spaces)
- Street Food – Single Marque Stall 3x3m- $960
- Street Food – Double Marque Stall 6x3m – $1800
Three-day market duration: 5pm – 9pm (Friday), 10am – 4pm (Saturday & Sunday)*
Three-day market cost (inc. GST):
- Small stall 2x2m – $800 (limited spaces)
- Small stall with corner – $885
- Large stall 3x3m – $1020
- Large stall with corner – $1130
- Extra large stall 4x3m with corner – $1380 (limited spaces)
- Gallery Space 6x3m – $1800 (limited spaces)
- Street Food – Single Marque Stall 3x3m – $1235
- Street Food – Double Marque Stall 6x3m – $2200
*Please note that these are the general market hours but we do hold a Low Sensory Shopping Hour on the Sunday morning of the market from 9am – 10am. Find out more about this initiative here.
You are required to trade at the market for the full duration of the event. Applications for markets are sent via email in the week that follows the last event we host. You are given a week to respond and we take a week to curate and make offers. Everyone who says they want to attend the event receives a response as to whether their application has been successful or not. Those that are successful will be sent an invoice via email, which will need to be paid within 7 days.
STEP 2- Register!
The next step is an easy one. Now you have read all the information, terms and conditions and fit the criteria just fill in the form… it’s that easy!
STEP 3: Eagerly await our response
Registrations are normally assessed within 5 – 10 business days and we DO respond to every registration. If you do not hear from us after this time please check your junk folder and if it is not there please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0402 247 532.
If you are successful we will be in contact via email and we will send your admin fee invoice.
Once payment is received you can:
- Create your account for the Handmade Canberra website.
- Create your business listing in our Australian Made Directory: 100 word bio, 5 images and links to your social accounts and website.
- Access the Member Resource Area so you can see all of the available discounts and value added resources we are regularly adding to.
- Request to be added to the member Only Facebook group
If you are unsuccessful we will email you advising you so. We are unable to reply to each case individually but do offer up the most common reasons we cannot accept a new member. If your product changes significantly in the future, please feel free to register again.
What our stallholders say about being part of the Handmade Canberra Community…
“We joined the Handmade Market back in March 2017 and were immediately welcomed in by the team and fellow stallholders. Quickly we learned that the Handmade team make their stallholders a priority, offering all types of support through their stallholder portal and a friendly ear in a times of need. When the global pandemic hit we thought that was it for us, with markets everywhere cancelled for the foreseeable future. The team at Handmade were very quick to pivot by supporting their stallholders with online markets throughout the year that were a hit for us. We are not sure our business would have survived and thrived so well without the team behind us every step of the way.”Mrs Nargar & Co
“Handmade Canberra is honestly the most organised, informative, curated market we attend. The quality and diversity of stall holders is next level, with an atmosphere on market day that that isn’t found anywhere else. It’s worth the drive for us every single time and never disappoints. You have to see it at least once in your lifetime!”Leroy Mac Designs
“I recently had a customer contact me after finding me on the Handmade Directory. She’d never been to a Handmade market but was looking for locally-made products as Christmas presents for her staff. She visited my studio and purchased several gifts. She mentioned that she’d also contacted a few other local makers that she found on the directory. So…thank you so much for the directory!”