What is the Low Sensory Shopping Hour?
We welcome shoppers to experience the Handmade Canberra Market in a reduced sensory, relaxed and supportive environment between 9am and 10am on the Sunday of the market weekend. Everyone is welcome to stay for the rest of the day, however, lighting, sound and smells will return to previous levels at 10am.
The Low Sensory Shopping Hour is inclusive and open to all, but is specifically designed to benefit people with autism, the elderly, mobility difficulties or people with sensory sensitivities. Anyone who may benefit from the experience is encouraged and welcome to come along.
The market is located at Exhibition Park in Canberra and entry is free, but we ask if you would like to attend the Low Sensory Shopping Hour that you reserve your free ticket.
About the market
Handmade Canberra is a Canberra’s favourite food and design market. The market is held quarterly and houses over 250 Australian Made stallholders across 3 pavilions at the Exhibition Park In Canberra (EPIC). You will find a diverse range of handmade products from jewellery, clothing, homewares, art, ceramics, textiles, food and much more. You can view the full list of stallholders in our market line up.
Our Low Sensory Shopping Hour takes place from 9am-10am each Sunday of the market.
We ask that attendees register by getting a FREE ticket to attend the Low Sensory Shopping hour. This will enable us to cap the numbers and make less overwhelming and easier to move around. Tickets will be available closer to the event.
What to expect at Low Sensory Shopping Hour?
You will find some areas have brighter lights, smells, loud sounds or be very visual. We have indicated these on our map and will place signage at the relevant points.
We will be:
- Dimming the lights to make it less bright
- Reducing noise of music and PA announcements to make it less noisy
- Educating our staff and stallholders so they better understand the customers needs
- Reducing attendance numbers to give more space and reduce overwhelm
- Provide a respectful announcement 15 minutes and 5 minutes before the doors open to the general public
- Provide a quiet space in the foyer for visitors to retreat if they require
- Having a market map on display that provides support on how to navigate the market
What to bring?
If you have sensitivities, you may like to bring these items to feel more comfortable:
- Noise reducing headphone
- Stimming, fidget toy or device
- Hat or sunglasses
- Hand sanitiser
- Your sunflower lanyard (hidden disability) if you have one
- Reusable shopping bag
- A shopping list
- Your ticket to show on entry
Toilets and baby change facilities
Public toilets are located in the foyer of the main entrance to the EPIC Conference Centre, at two places in the Budawang Building and also in the Coorong Building. Baby change facilities are available in the Budawang and Coorong pavilions.
ATMs, Eftpos and credit card facilities
There are no longer ATMs available at our markets. The majority of designers at the event have EFTPOS & credit card facilities, cash is also accepted.
EPIC is accessibility-friendly with accessible facilities, including toilets and parking. All customers parking in an accessible parking space must have a valid permit clearly displayed at all times.
Staff will be wearing a Handmade apron, name badge and lanyard. Staff can help you if you have a question or help you if you get lost.
You will find staff walking around the market and at the information desk in the foyer.
Where you can go if you need somewhere quiet
We have a quiet lounge space set up near the entry foyer. Please ask for assistance if you need.
How to get there?
The venue is Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC) and Handmade can be found in the Budawang pavilion, Conference Centre and Coorong pavilion. EPIC is on the corner of Flemington Road and Northbourne Avenue in Mitchell.
Exhibition Park in Canberra has multiple accessible free car parking spaces across the precinct in close proximity to all major buildings. Please follow parking crew directions onsite.
There are a number of public transport options available to get to Exhibition Park. There are a number of bus routes that service EPIC. For the latest timetable information, check the Transport Canberra website – http://www.transport.act.gov.au/
There is a light rail stop across the road from EPIC. For entry to EPIC from the light rail stop on Flemington Road, walk towards Northbourne Avenue and cross with the traffic lights at Gate 2. The light rail will be will be operational during each day of the event. Visit the Transport Canberra website for further information.
There is also a taxi pick-up and drop-off area located at the main entrance gates off Flemington Road. To contact Canberra Cabs, call 132227.
The map will show you the location of the market stalls, toilets, food, quiet areas. You can explore the map before you visit. If you have any questions, please talk to one of the Handmade staff circulating or at the information desk in the foyer.
The market comprises of 3 pavilions which are all linked and all on one level.
- Budawang Pavilion – This is the biggest pavilion will approximately 140 stalls. You will find handmade stalls, toilets, coffee and a handful of food stalls.
- Parkes Pavilion – This is the smaller pavilion and is directly opposite the foyer and information desk. Here you will find approximately 30 handmade stalls.
- Coorong Pavilion – This is where you will find the food and drink stalls. Here you will find approximately 70 stalls. There is seating in the food hall for you to sit and eat. The food hall will have more louder sounds and smells. You may also notice the air conditioning is louder.
You can find photos of the market on our Facebook page to know what to expect.